Carbon monoxide poisoning forces cancellation of Wisconsin game

The No. 1 ranked University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team soundly defeated the Lindenwood University on Friday by a score of 5-1.

Yet something didn’t seem right to the Badgers’ coaching staff.

From The Wisconsin State Journal:

A curiosity of why members of the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team were short of breath during last Friday’s game at Lindenwood turned into what coach Mark Johnson called a dangerous situation.

Within hours after the Badgers’ victory in Wentzville, Missouri, the lobby of the team’s hotel looked more like a hospital as players and staff members were tested for carbon monoxide poisoning.

[…]

Looking back on it Monday, [Johnson] said complaints of fatigue and blind spots fell in line with the elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the rink.

According to DetectCarbonMonoxide.com, the maximum level of exposure indoors is nine parts per million and below.

Continue reading